Thanks for your great responses to my post the other day about being healthy with a partner. If there’s one thing that came out of it, I know I’m not alone with my frustration!
Anyways, I have been crazy busy with school! Sometimes it seems to me that if you have a group project divided between people, it takes longer than if it were just divide by 1! While that’s been keeping me busy, I needed to throw together a quick meal for dinner and upon browsing my seemingly endless recipe bookmarks, I rediscovered this gem of a recipe. I used the recipe for the basis, but I definitely Miranda-fied it!
Aloo Matar (potato-peas-chickpeas curry!)
Adapted from here.
This recipe is super quick and easy to make. Aside from the spices, it uses items you likely have in your house anyways! It only takes about 20 mins to cook, just about the maximum amount of time you can keep the hunger monster at bay! This recipe makes 2 large portions, but you could probably stretch it to 3 if you added naan or some other bread to the side. Vegan and Gluten Free!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (I didn’t have this but subbed it for an Indian Masala spice I had)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (I omitted this)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/3 can crushed tomatoes (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 potatoes, cubed (I used one sweet potato and one white potato)
- Approx. 1 cup water
- 1/4 of large red onion, chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 can chickpeas, drained (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil in a pan until hot.
- Add spices and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Stir gently to incorporate spices and tomatoes together.
- Next, add the potatoes and enough water so that the potatoes are covered.
- Cover and allow to cook for 5 mins.
- Add onions and chickpeans; continue cooking for 12 more mins or until potatoes are nearly ready.
- Add the peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Have a great day!